MAKING GOVERNANCE WORK FOR THE PEOPLE
The leadership of the 2nd Sangguniang Panlungsod is one that is borne out of a strong collegial determination to establish the most urgently required policies of governance.
The twelve (12) committed Councilors composed of Hons. Bismark Angelo A. Quidang, Eugenia Violeta Daradar-Nalupta, Medeldorf M. Gaoat, Bernardo, K. Marders, Florencio P. Laud, Orlando C. Mangapit, Mary Coleen Columbia L. Cajigal, Avelard Ibarra F. Crisostomo, Elmer D. Pungtilan, Amable A. Abellon, James Paul C. Nalupta and Jarius Mark D. Nalupta continue to work hand in hand with Hon. Vice Mayor and Presiding Officer, Ronald Allan M. Nalupta.
Their joint energies, wisdom and inspiring dedication harmonized well in local governance and public service resulting into the passage of well-crafted, implementable and doable laws in pursuit of democratic ideals that truly serve the interest and welfare of the people.
Capping its almost two (2) years in office, the members of the august body stand proud on their record of lawmaking – both in quality and number – as well as the challenges they have surmounted to achieve this, including the avoidance of partisanship.
As Vice Mayor Nalupta aptly articulated, the goal is to transform this legislative body into an achievement and performance-oriented Sanggunian, a bastion of good politics. With this as its desired result, the Sanggunian managed to steer the course of legislation towards where reforms and new approaches are most needed.
In a span of 46 Regular Sessions constituting its 2nd legislative year, the 2nd Sangguniang Panlungsod chalked up a record of 17 Ordinances and 182 Resolutions. These encompasses a wide array of concerns, headlined by measures aimed at mobilizing the city’s assets to stimulate economic growth and fuel the administration’s Agricultural, Health, Education, Infrastructure and Environment programs.
An effective operation of the city government called for the enactment of City Annual Budget for 2011 through Appropriation Ordinance No. 2SP 2011-01 where the Sanggunian appropriated the amount of Php137,330, 691.20 covering the various expenditures for the functioning of the city government.
To ensure sustainable development, the Sanggunian through Appropriation Ordinance No. 2SP 2011-02 provided the allocation of Php17,817,490.82 accruing from the proceeds of its Tobacco Excise Tax Share under RA7171. Assured in this measure is the allocation of sufficient funds for infrastructure development and projects under the “Tulong ti Barangay,” program of the City Government.
Ordinance No. 2SP 2011-03 An Ordinance Establishing the City Vocational/Technical Educational Scholarship Program of Batac City and Providing Guidelines for Implementations Therefore
Ordinance No. 2SP 2011-16 An Ordinance Allowing the Use of the Municipality of Batac Owned land of 56 sq.m. in favor of Nalupta Day Care Center, Thru a Deed of Usufruct
As the surest ladder of opportunity for the underprivileged to improve their own lives, the section of Education continues to receive primary attention.
Ordinance No. 2SP 2011-06 An Ordinance Exempting Indigents from the payment of Filing and Certain Fees being Collected by the Office of the Civil Registrar
Ordinance No. 2SP 2011-12 An Ordinance Establishing the City Social Fund Program of the City of Batac
The Sanggunian has also moved in favor of the disadvantaged sectors. Measures that directly address the needs of this sector were given equal importance.
Ordinance No. 2SP 2011-06 An Ordinance Creating the City Blood Council of the City of Batac and Provide Funds thereof.
Ordinance no. 2SP 2011-07 An Ordinance Creating the City of Batac, Ilocos Norte Multi-Sectoral STI, HIV and AIDS Council and its Technical Working Group, for the Prevention and Control of Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI), Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), Defining its Functions, Providing Response, Appropriating Funds and other Related Purposes
Ordinance No. 2SP 2011-10 An Ordinance Providing for the Prevention and Control of Dengue in the City of Batac, Ilocos Norte and Providing Penalties Thereof
One of the highest budgetary allocations was channeled by the Sanggunian on programs that deliver health care/services ensuring that every Batacqueño will get the chance of preserving and enhancing the most valuable asset they have – their physical health.
ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION/ LANDED ESTATES
Ordinance No. 2SP 2011-09 An Ordinance Enacting the Environment Code of The City of Batac
Ordinance No. 2SP 2011-11An Ordinance Requiring Every Candidate for School Graduation in the Elementary, Secondary and Vocational Level to Plant Ten (10), Twenty (20) and Thirty (30) Trees, Respectively, in the Preceding Planting Season, at the Latest
Ordinance No. 2SP 2011 – 13 An Ordinance Requiring All Applicants of Mass Wedding of the City Government of Batac, Ilocos Norte to Plant Ten (10) Fruit-Bearing Trees for Each Couple as a Pre-Requisite for the Participation to the Mass Wedding Program
Ordinance No. 2SP 2011-14 An Ordinance Prescribing the Guidelines for the Implementation of the Public Land Titling in Partnership with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources in the City of Batac
The 2nd Sangguniang Panlungsod also followed through its environmental agenda. This will reinforce the cause to ensure that development would not be at the expense of destroying our environment which we must preserve for the benefit of future generations.
PEACE AND ORDER
Ordinance No. 2SP 2011-02 Anti- Graffiti Ordinance of the City of Batac
Ordinance No. 2SP 2011-04 An Ordinance Regulating the Mobile Vending Activities in Batac City, Prescribing Fees and Penalties Thereof
Ordinance No. 2SP 2011-08 An Ordinance to Curtail the Sale, Rental, Transfer, Distribution, Manufacture and/or Production of Pirated, Counterfeit or Fake Goods, Articles or Services and Providing Penalties Thereof
This set of legislative body gave the city government more teeth to fight the rising venue of felony and transgression.
These measures have crucial significance as rampant lawbreaking affects public order and safety. They erode the viability of tourism industry, which is an important contributor to the economy.
Ordinance No. 2SP 2011 – 15 An Ordinance Providing For the Quarantine of Livestocks and Poultry Procured From the Outside Of And Sold In The City
As always, the Sanggunian accorded priority in developing and improving the agricultural sector vis-à-vis the adoption of a strategy to protect public health and safety. The passage of this measure is a step to an effective method of reducing the risk of disease introduction in the locality.
A CLEAR-CUT VISION FOR BUDGETARY AUGMENTATION
Ordinance No. 2SP 2011-01 An Ordinance Amending by Addendum Section 11 – 1 of Ordinance No. 01 S. 2009 Otherwise, Known as the Revenue Code of 2009
The august body addressed the collection effort of the city government. The funds that could be generated would considerably aid to finance a number of its wide-ranging and far-reaching economic and social platform vis-à-vis the commitment to bring palpable development to the lives of Batacqueños.
Identified hereunder is a list of other notable measures addressing the city’s other concerns.
1. Resolution No. 2SP 2011-11 Approving the Year 2011 City Development Plan of The City of Batac
2. Resolution No. 2SP 2011-22 A Resolution Encouraging all Banks, Pawnshops, Money Changers, Other Quasi-Banking Financial Institutions, and Commercial Establishments Within the Jurisdiction of the City of Batac to Incorporate the Acquisition and Installation of Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) Monitoring Systems with their Safety and Security Systems Measures
3. Resolution No. 2SP 2011-94 A Resolution Expressing Formal Support for the Conduct of Golden Rice Field Trials in the City of Batac, Ilocos Norte
4. Resolution No 2SP 2011-70 A Resolution Authorizing Mayor Jeffrey Jubal C. Nalupta, City Mayor to Represent the City in All Transactions and Sign on its Behalf all Such Documents with The Department Of Environment And Natural Resources (DENR) Towards the Titling in the Name of the City – Owned Parcel of Land Located at Barangay #34 Dariwdiw Particularly Lot # 45500 Containing an Area of 513,346.42 Square Meters
5. Resolution No. 2SP 2011-37 A Resolution Signifying The Official Stand Of The Sangguniang Panlungsod Of Batac City On Issues Of Constitutional Reform On The 1987 Philippine Constitution
6. Resolution No. 2SP 2011-48 A Resolution Authorizing The City Mayor Jeffrey Jubal C. Nalupta To Enter Into A Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU) With The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration Thru Its Administrator, Honorable Carlos S. Cao, Jr. For The Launching Of An Anti-Illegal Recruitment (AIR) Information Campaign
7. Resolution No. 2SP 2011-61 Resolution Authorizing the City Mayor, Hon. Jeffrey Jubal C. Nalupta, to Enter into a Memorandum of Agreement with the Department of Interior and Local Government Represented By Regional Director Manuel V. Biazon, Ceso III, DILG Regional Office I For The Public Transport Assistance Program (Pantawid Pasada)
8. Resolution No. 2SP 2011-87 A Resolution Authorizing the Honorable Jeffrey Jubal C. Nalupta, City Mayor of Batac, to Enter into a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) With The Department of Science and Technology (DOST) Thru Regional Director Elsa R. Chan for the Development of New Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMES) Program of the City of Batac, Ilocos Norte
9. Resolution No. 2SP 2011-161 Resolution Authorizing the City Government of Batac Represented by Mayor Jeffrey Jubal C. Nalupta to Enter into a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Represented By Regional Director Dr. Henry John S. Jalbuena for the Implementation of the Dole Integrated Livelihood Program (DILP)
10. Resolution No. 2SP 2011-75 Resolution Encouraging all Sangguniang Barangays to Provide a Budget Allocation for the Senior Citizens and Persons With Disabilities in their Respective Annual Budgets
11. Resolution No. 2SP 2011-119 A Resolution Authorizing the Establishment and Operation of a Biodiversity Conservation Learning Center and Leisure Park (BCLC & LP) Dubbed as “Salinged” at Mariano Marcos State University (MMSU), City of Batac, Ilocos Norte
12. Resolution No. 2SP 2011-72 Resolution Authorizing The City Mayor, Hon. Jeffrey Jubal C. Nalupta, to Enter Into A Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) With The Department Of Social Welfare And Development (DSWD) Thru OIC Regional Director Marlene Febes D. Peralta, RFU-I San Fernando City, La Union for the Supplementary Feeding Program for Day Care Children
13. Resolution No. 2SP 2011-78 Resolution Authorizing the City Mayor, Hon. Jeffrey Jubal C. Nalupta, to Enter into a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the National Statistic Office (NSO) – Office of the Civil Registrar General, Represented by Administrator and Civil Registrar General Carmelita N. Ericta for the Philippine Civil Registry Information System (PhilCris)
14. Resolution No. 2SP 2011-160 A Resolution Authorizing the Honorable Jeffrey Jubal C. Nalupta, City Mayor of Batac, Ilocos Norte to Enter into a Memorandum of Understanding with the Genealogical Society of Utah (GSU) for Microfilming of Civil Registry Documents in the City of Batac, Ilocos Norte
15. Resolution No. 2SP 2011-131 Resolution Authorizing Honorable Jeffrey Jubal C. Nalupta, City Mayor of Batac to be the True and Lawful Representative of the City Government of Batac in all Hearings, Proceedings, Preliminary Conference, Pre-Trial Conference, Mediation and Juridical Dispute Resolution Proceedings And All Incident of The Case: Department of Environment and Natural Resources Claim 01-In-96, Lot No. 15583, Cad 398, Brgy. Bil-Loca, Batac Ilocos Norte Entitled “Provincial Government of Ilocos Norte Represented by the Honorable Imee R. Marcos (Governor), Protestant Versus Municipality of Batac (Ilocos Norte), Represented by its Municipal Mayor, Applicant-Respondent”
16. Resolution No. 2SP 2011 – 65 A Resolution Authorizing Hon. Jeffrey Jubal C. Nalupta, City Mayor to Represent the City in All Transactions and Sign on its Behalf all Such Documents With The Department Of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) for the Titling in The Name of the City – Owned Parcel of Land Located at Barangay #35 Bil-loca
We can never say enough of the numerous Resolutions passed by the august body requesting funding from various national offices and agencies. The goal is to bring in funds for vital concerns. To date, the 2nd Sangguniang Panlungsod passed 51 Resolutions of Request.
In the exercise of its review function under the Local Government Code of 1991, the Sanggunian tackled upon and reviewed 22 Ordinances and 96 Resolutions enacted and adopted by the Sanggunian of various barangays. Accordingly, these had been handled by its 24 Standing Committees for study, comment and recommendation. The records showed the Committees on Transportation, Finance and Laws leading the others in the number of referrals transmitted for their review.
One of the indicators to determine the accomplishments of the different Committees is the unrelenting focus to put in place expeditious solutions to matters submitted for their consideration. For the 12 months under review, a total of 92 meetings/hearings on various issues and measures referred to them were conducted. Of these, five (5) were tackled by the body constituting itself as a Committee of the Whole.
As mandated under RA 7160 in relation to Municipal Ordinance No. 03 s. 1992, relative to the enforcement of its franchising authority, the Sanggunian processed and approved 3142 Motorized Tricycle Operator’s Permit (MTOP).
The Sangguniang Panlungsod also values the importance of having productive and harmonious relationship with other institutions from the government and the private sector, to create an environment where rapport and goodwill among institution prevail. Thus, the respective offices of the Vice Mayor and Members of the Sanggunian are readily accessible to the public and the people’s concern and diverse issues presented are considered to give proper and immediate action.
With the welfare of the people always at the center stage of the Council’s legislative concerns, quoted are the words of the Vice Mayor –
“With pride and humility, we offer to our kailians the fruits of our legislative labors. We did our best – yet we know much remains to be done, beyond the lifetime of this 2nd Sanggunian Panlungsod, to lift up and bring palpable development to the lives of the Batacqueños.”